Skip to main content

Unemployed thoughts

Just a couple weeks ago, I was at work, probably glancing every two minutes at the clock, waiting for 4:30 to show up so I could log off the computer, sling my purse over my shoulder and head for the parking lot.
It was a good job. Not always very exciting, but it paid well and I found it interesting most days, my job as a library assistant at a medical library. I only worked there 3 months. Before that, I worked for a month at Wendy's and before that, I job hunted for almost half a year.
I know what it is to fill out countless job applications.
To be unable to just hop in the car and go to Walmart because there is no money left in my savings or checking account.
To feel like a prisoner to the kindness of my family.
To dislike strongly how listless and lazy I am beginning to feel as the weeks turn to months with no sign of change.
To whisper through tears, "Why God? What are you trying to teach me through this?"
To wait.
I am filling out more applications again. Today, I spent several minutes filling out one for a front desk receptionist at a chiropractor office. The application was on one of those online job search sites. I finished filling it out, hit submit, and nothing happened. So I redid the whole thing, hit submit, and again nothing happened. I can't count the number of times something similar to that has happened to me over the last few months.
Last week, I had an interview scheduled for a position as a Spanish teacher at a large school near Columbus. I was excited that they had even called me about having an interview! I am not fluent in Spanish, but I have some knowledge and a tiny bit of experience tutoring it, so I was hoping...
Then, the night before the interview, I decided to look up the school online and see what it was like. I'm glad I did. After reading some of the strange ideas that the school's founder has, then doing a bit of research on this person and the school, I knew what I was going to do. So, my feelings were mixed the next morning after I hung up the phone after canceling the interview. I was relieved that I had found out before I wasted gas money that this was a bad idea. But I was disappointed to have another door closed.
I say all this not to make anyone feel sorry for me. I have many things to be thankful for.. I say all this only to point something out that should be as plain as the wrinkles on our foreheads: Life is often really hard.
So where do I turn in these times?
I wish I could say I always turn to the source of hope. I don't always. Many times, I turn inward, brooding, fretting, biting my nails, allowing feelings of depression to creep in and tighten around my heart like iron bands. Other times, I turn outward, seeking solace and affirmation in the company of people (or in a bowl of extreme chocolate moose tracks icecream).
But my heart still has an empty place.
Trying to live life pain-free is impossible. Nobody understands that better than Jesus. He spent his life until age 30 working in his earthly father's carpentry shop, then the last 3 years walking the dusty roads of Israel, teaching and healing the sick, feeding and serving hungry, training his disciples, giving himself for the ones he loved. And in the end, he died in misery and pain, jeered and hated by the people he loved. He knew pain and rejection.
I have a high priest who knows and understands all my feelings of frustration and rejection.
He is the one I turn to and find real peace. I love to think about the doctrine of the humanity of Christ. Yes, He is fully God. But yes, He is also fully man. A man who was  tempted like we are, yet without sin. A man who cried. A man who suffered unbearable pain. A man who intercedes for me before the Father's throne.
So. I've written all these words. And I'm still jobless. I still don't know what tomorrow will bring. (Does anyone?) And I still will struggle to trust. But I know where my source of peace is.
Jesus.  He is Risen and He is my Hope in these days of helplessness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slippers

   It is a frosty October morning. A new moon hangs in the pale sky.  And I slide my feet into your old slippers.  The thought occurs that I don't need to apologize for borrowing them anymore.  You used to ask me not to take them. They were broken in just right for you.  I had my own slippers. But after you died, I threw my own away. I didn't need them. I had yours. My feet needed to fit in the imprints you left. So I take a deep breath and open the door, And though my breath rises like a ghost into the cold air My feet and heart are warm as I whisper, "thank you."

Pregnancy Loss and a gracious God

  He makes the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children. Psalm 113:9 A week ago, this verse would have made me angry. But as I slowly begin to heal after a miscarriage, I am finding comfort in that precious verse. This was my third pregnancy loss. Twice within our first year of marriage, my husband and I experienced this sorrow. It was heartbreaking. But we recovered as best we could. Finally, after almost a year of trying, I conceived again. We were so thrilled. We got in to see the OB doctor very early and I was closely monitored. All seemed fine. We got to see our little bean’s heart beating fast at just 5 and a half weeks on Dec. 22. (That was a joy we had not experienced with our other pregnancies which both ended before a heartbeat was detected.) Though I struggled with nausea and fatigue, I rejoiced at these symptoms of what I hoped was a healthy pregnancy. On January 12, I had another ultrasound. I was about 8 and a half weeks along. The technic

One year ago..

  As I type these words, it is March 17th. St Patrick's Day. Tomorrow, March 18th, is a milestone that I have been dreading. One year ago tomorrow, my beloved husband breathed his last here on earth and woke up in Heaven.  I have decided to blog about my journey of grief that began that morning. I pray it is both a step of healing for my own heart and also that it brings glory to my God who has brought me through and continues to walk with me.  When I woke up and discovered Matt still and lifeless beside me, James woke up at almost the same time and I heard him coming to our room. Frantically, I tried to shield him from what was happening, but he did see his Daddy. Words came out of me as I tried to comfort my four-year-old son. I remember telling him, I think Daddy has gone to Heaven. James started crying and I told him, I think God decided it was time for him to come home to Heaven. The words seemed to comfort James in some small way.  One of Matt's friends and coworkers show