Skip to main content

My day with Rose and Annie

I'm staying at my sister's apartment for a couple days, helping babysit her two little girls, Rose and Annie. Rose is 6, Annie is 3. Yesterday, we had fun together making and decorating cookies shaped like butterflies, Easter eggs, bunnies, etc. We also played outside for a while and the girls made things out of modeling clay while I fixed lunch.  Nothing super eventful happened, so I woke up today planning for another basically easy day of hanging out with my two favorite children.
Well, I woke up around the same time as the girls. We got ready and walked to McDonalds, just a block away, for breakfast and then playtime. That wasn't so bad. Other than mild frustration at my attempts to maneuver a double wide stroller, I felt confident in my ability as a nurturing, patient Aunt. When we arrived back at the apartment, I got Rose started on schoolwork and settled Annie with a Tweetie bird DVD in the other room. About 30 seconds into our phonics lesson, Annie yelled, "Come see what happened" I went in the room and saw that her DVD had locked up. I re-started it, left and resumed teaching. But very soon Annie announced it had happened again. Apparently, Tweetie was not meant to be.
Plan B. I grabbed a stack of kids' books, handed them to Annie and told her to sit on the couch and look at them till Rose and I were done with school.
That worked for about two minutes. Soon, phonics with Rose had become phonics with Rose and Annie, which really wasn't too bad actually. One wrote words and sentences on a marker board while the other drew picture in a notebook and cheerfully shared her artwork with the class.
After phonics, we moved on to math and history. That went pretty well, thankfully.
Then we went to the library. Picking books and movies out went pretty well, but then came The Checkout. For those who have never attempted to use a self checkout at a library with two small children, let me describe it:
The childcare provider (aka, the slightly nervous adult), maneuvers herself, an armload and a half of library materials and two excited, outgoing kids  to the counter. There is a scanner and a computer monitor. As the adult scans each item, she also corrals one child who is continually trying to push her favorite letter, "A", on the computer keyboard and avoids eye contact with the biker dude wearing a bandana on his head after same child loudly comments that "He is wearing a pirate hat".
Then, the self checkout screen proclaims that the limit has been reached and no more items can be checked out. This is unthinkable to two children who both desperately want to keep ALL their carefully selected books and DVDs, including Angelina Ballerina, Care Bear and a very exciting story about a bear who snores. The adult asks for assistance from the friendly librarian, and children, books, adult and library materials all slide to the left to allow friendly librarian to complete the checkout and alleviate this near disaster.
Meantime, one child is trying to snatch her favorite DVD off the counter before it is checked out and the other is attempting  to stealthily steal a rubber band from the friendly librarian's desk.
At last, everything: children, adult, library books and DVDs, are safely stowed in the car and the checkout adventure is over.
The rest of the afternoon held more excitement to be sure: We ate lunch then the girls watched a "Wishbone" movie while I washed dishes (during which I broke a cup..oops),  we colored Easter eggs, somehow avoiding any major dye stains or anything and finally their mom came home and I collapsed on the couch, tired and happy and wondering HOW moms do this every single day.
Here's to all you moms! You are AMAZing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slippers

   It is a frosty October morning. A new moon hangs in the pale sky.  And I slide my feet into your old slippers.  The thought occurs that I don't need to apologize for borrowing them anymore.  You used to ask me not to take them. They were broken in just right for you.  I had my own slippers. But after you died, I threw my own away. I didn't need them. I had yours. My feet needed to fit in the imprints you left. So I take a deep breath and open the door, And though my breath rises like a ghost into the cold air My feet and heart are warm as I whisper, "thank you."

Pregnancy Loss and a gracious God

  He makes the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children. Psalm 113:9 A week ago, this verse would have made me angry. But as I slowly begin to heal after a miscarriage, I am finding comfort in that precious verse. This was my third pregnancy loss. Twice within our first year of marriage, my husband and I experienced this sorrow. It was heartbreaking. But we recovered as best we could. Finally, after almost a year of trying, I conceived again. We were so thrilled. We got in to see the OB doctor very early and I was closely monitored. All seemed fine. We got to see our little bean’s heart beating fast at just 5 and a half weeks on Dec. 22. (That was a joy we had not experienced with our other pregnancies which both ended before a heartbeat was detected.) Though I struggled with nausea and fatigue, I rejoiced at these symptoms of what I hoped was a healthy pregnancy. On January 12, I had another ultrasound. I was about 8 and a half weeks along. The technic

One year ago..

  As I type these words, it is March 17th. St Patrick's Day. Tomorrow, March 18th, is a milestone that I have been dreading. One year ago tomorrow, my beloved husband breathed his last here on earth and woke up in Heaven.  I have decided to blog about my journey of grief that began that morning. I pray it is both a step of healing for my own heart and also that it brings glory to my God who has brought me through and continues to walk with me.  When I woke up and discovered Matt still and lifeless beside me, James woke up at almost the same time and I heard him coming to our room. Frantically, I tried to shield him from what was happening, but he did see his Daddy. Words came out of me as I tried to comfort my four-year-old son. I remember telling him, I think Daddy has gone to Heaven. James started crying and I told him, I think God decided it was time for him to come home to Heaven. The words seemed to comfort James in some small way.  One of Matt's friends and coworkers show