Skip to main content

Our beautiful Wedding!




My love and I got married on January 4th, 2014 at 2 pm. It was a cold, sunny, white wedding day. Perfect for some fun pictures in the snow!





My cousin and aunt drove down from Michigan two days before the wedding and arranged all the flowers. I had ordered white roses, carnations, baby’s breath and greenery from Sam’s club as well as some extra carnations from Kroger. I was nervous about how the flowers would look coming in the mail, but they turned out stunning! My cousin and aunt fashioned the most amazing bouquets, corsages, boutonnieres and flower arrangements I’d ever seen. They took my breath away.

My bouquet was a hand tied bouquet of 30 white roses studded with baby’s breath and sparkly silver and pearl jewels. My bridesmaids bouquets were white carnations tied with beautiful navy blue and silver ribbon.






I found the bridesmaid dresses on davidsbridal.com for under $50. They were dark blue, sleeveless, knee length a line dresses. The bridesmaids each wore silver heels of their own choosing and I bought each of them a pearl necklace and earrings plus silky white wraps for their arms.

 

 My dress was from memories’ bridal shop. It was an off the shoulder gown with a beaded bodice, gathered at the waist and draped to the side with a front chiffon underlay under the full satin skirt. The train was long and edged with beadwork.  My veil was handmade by my grandmother. It was waist length, simple tulle with narrow ribbon edging. My hair was gathered in soft cascades of curls and the veil was secured at the back of my head.

 

My groom was handsome in a navy blue suit, crisp white shirt, and a striped silver and blue tie. His Groomsmen wore black pants with white shirts and navy blue vests and ties.

 

The music was done by a talented family who played and sang for the guests for half an hour with harp, flute, keyboard, violin and singing. Another friend sang a solo during the ceremony accompanied by a pianist friend.

 



The decorations were lovely but simple: silver pew bows fastened to pew candle holders with candles softly flickering, a few blue, silver and white flower arrangements, and candelabras on the stage which I rented from the venue. In the reception hall, the 20 plus tables were covered with white tablecloths with lengths of silver ribbon crisscrossed down the middle of each table. Lace-wrapped mason jars centered each table with a votive candle inside. Rings of baby’s breath surrounded each jar. Silver wrapped chocolate kisses were scattered all over the tables too.

 

The food was beautifully fixed and served by my aunt, cousins and brother: mac n cheese, lil' smokies and meatballs, potato salad, cheese and crackers, pickles, olives, carrots, cucumbers, potato chips, grapes, nuts, and coffee and punch.

 



The cake was gorgeous!! A church friend made the 3 tiered beauty: white frosted, with silver shimmery sugar sprinkled over it all, with navy ribbon around the base of each round layer and white frosting roses cascading down the side. The layers were chocolate, white, and our top layer was lemon. So good!! 

The dj was a pastor friend of my husband’s. He did a nice job introducing us as we came in, running the music, and announcing things like the cake cutting, the first dance, etc.

 

Our photographer did an awesome job! She snapped hundreds of amazing shots in the 4 hours we booked her, and ended up being able to capture the day’s festivities from one hour before the ceremony, till the moment we left the church doors in a cloud of blowing bubbles as friends and family cheered and waved goodbye! She kept us all moving quickly, and we were done with our photo session in less than an hour after the ceremony! I could not have been happier.

 

All in all, the day held countless precious memories and I am forever grateful.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slippers

   It is a frosty October morning. A new moon hangs in the pale sky.  And I slide my feet into your old slippers.  The thought occurs that I don't need to apologize for borrowing them anymore.  You used to ask me not to take them. They were broken in just right for you.  I had my own slippers. But after you died, I threw my own away. I didn't need them. I had yours. My feet needed to fit in the imprints you left. So I take a deep breath and open the door, And though my breath rises like a ghost into the cold air My feet and heart are warm as I whisper, "thank you."

One year ago..

  As I type these words, it is March 17th. St Patrick's Day. Tomorrow, March 18th, is a milestone that I have been dreading. One year ago tomorrow, my beloved husband breathed his last here on earth and woke up in Heaven.  I have decided to blog about my journey of grief that began that morning. I pray it is both a step of healing for my own heart and also that it brings glory to my God who has brought me through and continues to walk with me.  When I woke up and discovered Matt still and lifeless beside me, James woke up at almost the same time and I heard him coming to our room. Frantically, I tried to shield him from what was happening, but he did see his Daddy. Words came out of me as I tried to comfort my four-year-old son. I remember telling him, I think Daddy has gone to Heaven. James started crying and I told him, I think God decided it was time for him to come home to Heaven. The words seemed to comfort James in some small way.  One of Matt's friends and coworkers show

Pregnancy Loss and a gracious God

  He makes the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children. Psalm 113:9 A week ago, this verse would have made me angry. But as I slowly begin to heal after a miscarriage, I am finding comfort in that precious verse. This was my third pregnancy loss. Twice within our first year of marriage, my husband and I experienced this sorrow. It was heartbreaking. But we recovered as best we could. Finally, after almost a year of trying, I conceived again. We were so thrilled. We got in to see the OB doctor very early and I was closely monitored. All seemed fine. We got to see our little bean’s heart beating fast at just 5 and a half weeks on Dec. 22. (That was a joy we had not experienced with our other pregnancies which both ended before a heartbeat was detected.) Though I struggled with nausea and fatigue, I rejoiced at these symptoms of what I hoped was a healthy pregnancy. On January 12, I had another ultrasound. I was about 8 and a half weeks along. The technic