Skip to main content

Thoughts from a wave of grief

 You’d think by now, I would see the wave coming, take a deep breath, close my eyes, and shut myself up within its wall of water until it subsided.

But no- it rises up inside my quiet, lonely room here late at night as warm memories collide with cold reality. 

And I feel it’s salt stinging in my eyes,

Hear my voice wailing within its roar,

Drown- almost- in its depths.

8 months and two weeks and 4 days have parted me from my anchor.

Like Peter, sinking, I cry to the Master of the Waves to rescue me. 

And just like last time, and all the times before and all the times to come, He does just that.

And I weep on His shoulder and I thank him but I also shout my painful cries:

“ Why did my anchor have to be taken?” “What do I do now?” 

And He lifts me into a safe vessel and as it carries me away from that dreadful wave, He says,

“Rest now and wait. You are loved. You are seen. You are safe.”

And it is not quite what I wanted Him to say but He is Who I need so I listen.

And I am soon asleep.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is doing a new thing..

 On March 18, 2022, I thought I might never be happy again. I sobbed my goodbyes to the man I loved and who I thought I'd grow old with. He was in many ways my world, along with our then four year old son. My world shattered that day.  But God had other plans. Do I understand why God allowed Matt to go home to Glory at age 38? Do I understand why all of our hopes and plans for the future were swept away on a tide of seemingly unending grief? No. I don't.  But I have seen God take the shards of my broken heart and fit them back together into something created for His honor.  Several months after my husband's untimely death, I struck up a friendship with one of Matt's closest friends, Ryan. We started texting each other about all kinds of random things: funny stories from our day, encouragement from Scripture, favorite memories or movies or events...we never seemed to run out of things to say to each other. I was finding myself very interested. But the timing was not r...

How To Care For Grieving Friends

 The internet is filled with these types of articles, but I wanted to add my perspective. Over the last year, many people have shown me and James so much kindness and love. I want to focus on just a few things that have brought us so much comfort from other people this year.  These are all ways that I have personally been comforted by friends/family. If you are wondering what will be a help to someone who has lost a loved one, I believe these are practical tips.  1. Be there for them at the visitation/funeral if possible.  I cannot express what it meant to me to look up and see familiar faces of people from near and very far away, all gathered to offer their sincere care. We had friends who traveled hundreds of miles to be there for me and it meant the world.  I know it is not always possible to attend a funeral! I hold no ill feelings toward anyone who was not there at Matt's service. But I do remember with genuine gratitude the ones who were able and did make ...

Books I've read so far in 2026

     I'm finally reading again! I realize that sounds like an exaggeration, but over the last few years, I've set aside reading as a regular hobby.  But I'm a bookworm again, and it is amazing.     Since the start of 2026, I've logged 26 books read so far. Some have been audiobooks, some in print books, and a few have been eBooks. I keep track of the books on my Goodreads profile.  Before I talk about the books I've read, let me make a comment about the purpose of reading. For me, reading is a gift. As a Christian, I read for edification, but I also read for fun! I honestly believe a good novel is a great way to pass the time, stir the imagination, and transport the reader to a different time or place. I find joy in reading.      Having said that, my first book of the year was a short, powerful book by AW Tozer, "How to be filled with the Holy Spirit". I listened to the audiobook, and it only took 2 or 3 hours. It was a great way to star...