Skip to main content

Layers of Spring

Today, as a light rain fell, my son splashed happily in puddles, his new yellow rain boots contrasting cheerfully against the greyness of the day. I sat on my porch rocker to watch him and I looked around our yard. I noticed how the redbud trees are subtly beginning to show their lovely purple blooms. I noticed how the dogwood tree has some round buds on its limbs. And I thought about the gradual nature of Spring. 

One day, the trees were bare and the grass was brown and dead looking. Then, little by little, nature began to awaken. Daffodils were one of the first things to bloom. Their blooms add splashes of sunny cheer here and there around our yard and in the woods around the campus. We were gone for Spring Break and when we returned home a few days later, the bare branches of our three forsythia bushes were vibrant with their yellow flowers. So lovely! Next, tulips are blooming and Bradford pear trees. And so on..

But it was all gradual. In layers. And it made me think of spiritual growth as I sat on the porch today. Often, in times of weariness, I am tempted to believe that there is no growth in my life. That because I am not where I ought to be, I am not growing at all. But Spring reminds me that change is often subtle. Things may not seem to be moving but they are. 

So, as sure as Spring is here and is continuing to arrive day by day, I know that I am being sanctified moment by moment and day by day. 

At salvation, I was gloriously changed, but I will not be glorified until that glorious day when I look upon my Savior. Until that day, the Holy Spirit is changing me. Sanctifying me. It is not an overnight change. But I pray I will rest in the hope that what He began, He will complete. 

I pray you rest in that Hope as well!

Happy Spring!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slippers

   It is a frosty October morning. A new moon hangs in the pale sky.  And I slide my feet into your old slippers.  The thought occurs that I don't need to apologize for borrowing them anymore.  You used to ask me not to take them. They were broken in just right for you.  I had my own slippers. But after you died, I threw my own away. I didn't need them. I had yours. My feet needed to fit in the imprints you left. So I take a deep breath and open the door, And though my breath rises like a ghost into the cold air My feet and heart are warm as I whisper, "thank you."

One year ago..

  As I type these words, it is March 17th. St Patrick's Day. Tomorrow, March 18th, is a milestone that I have been dreading. One year ago tomorrow, my beloved husband breathed his last here on earth and woke up in Heaven.  I have decided to blog about my journey of grief that began that morning. I pray it is both a step of healing for my own heart and also that it brings glory to my God who has brought me through and continues to walk with me.  When I woke up and discovered Matt still and lifeless beside me, James woke up at almost the same time and I heard him coming to our room. Frantically, I tried to shield him from what was happening, but he did see his Daddy. Words came out of me as I tried to comfort my four-year-old son. I remember telling him, I think Daddy has gone to Heaven. James started crying and I told him, I think God decided it was time for him to come home to Heaven. The words seemed to comfort James in some small way.  One of Matt's friends and coworkers show

Pregnancy Loss and a gracious God

  He makes the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children. Psalm 113:9 A week ago, this verse would have made me angry. But as I slowly begin to heal after a miscarriage, I am finding comfort in that precious verse. This was my third pregnancy loss. Twice within our first year of marriage, my husband and I experienced this sorrow. It was heartbreaking. But we recovered as best we could. Finally, after almost a year of trying, I conceived again. We were so thrilled. We got in to see the OB doctor very early and I was closely monitored. All seemed fine. We got to see our little bean’s heart beating fast at just 5 and a half weeks on Dec. 22. (That was a joy we had not experienced with our other pregnancies which both ended before a heartbeat was detected.) Though I struggled with nausea and fatigue, I rejoiced at these symptoms of what I hoped was a healthy pregnancy. On January 12, I had another ultrasound. I was about 8 and a half weeks along. The technic