Skip to main content

The admiration trap

 Not long ago, an acquaintance made a snide remark about something. It rubbed me the wrong way. Thankfully, in that moment, I pasted a smile on and moved on. But a few minutes later, as the words this person said lodged deeper in my mind, I wanted so badly to retort. But I didn’t. Instead, I silently fumed and wished I had the nerve to confront this person about the way they spoke.

Have you ever been there? I feel like I’m there way too often. A person’s remark hits me in the wrong way and later as I muse further, I become more and more hurt or angry or just plain annoyed. 

I remember times when I have whispered an entire speech , knowing I’d never actually have the nerve to look the person in the eye and say my well crafted rant. Instead, I usually allow resentment toward that person to build until they are an enemy in my mind.

Recently, I had an "aha" moment: when someone  makes a hurtful comment to me, my defensive feelings reveal that I’ve taken a normal longing to be admired and I've turned it into an idol. While I would not speak these words  out loud, what I’m really saying is “How dare they! I’m worthy of respect and admiration and they did not recognize this truth." In a sense, I am more concerned about my glory than the glory of God. I'm more aware of my hurt feelings than I am the kingdom of God. I create walls in my heart when Christ asks me to extend grace.

There is one quick disclaimer I feel compelled to add. There are certain situations when it is wise to deliberately establish boundaries between myself and certain people. Proverbs is filled with warnings about staying away from foolish or cruel or ungodly people. If a person is constantly berating me or spreading malicious gossip or just in general being a hurtful person, it may be time to take steps to end or at least lessen my relationship with them if possible. 

But on the other hand, I must consider whether I'm  being offended too easily because of that desire to be admired or respected. Maybe that is why a friend's joking remark hurt so much. If that is the case, I have to surrender. Surrender my craving to be admired. Surrender my longing to be respected. Surrender my desire to reply with a retort of my own. Surrender my need to be right. 

I'm sure I will struggle with this "admiration trap" all of my life. But with the grace of God, I hope that next time I get my feelings hurt by someone's careless words, my response-both outwardly and inwardly- will be wiser, kinder and more Christlike. 


 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slippers

   It is a frosty October morning. A new moon hangs in the pale sky.  And I slide my feet into your old slippers.  The thought occurs that I don't need to apologize for borrowing them anymore.  You used to ask me not to take them. They were broken in just right for you.  I had my own slippers. But after you died, I threw my own away. I didn't need them. I had yours. My feet needed to fit in the imprints you left. So I take a deep breath and open the door, And though my breath rises like a ghost into the cold air My feet and heart are warm as I whisper, "thank you."

Pregnancy Loss and a gracious God

  He makes the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children. Psalm 113:9 A week ago, this verse would have made me angry. But as I slowly begin to heal after a miscarriage, I am finding comfort in that precious verse. This was my third pregnancy loss. Twice within our first year of marriage, my husband and I experienced this sorrow. It was heartbreaking. But we recovered as best we could. Finally, after almost a year of trying, I conceived again. We were so thrilled. We got in to see the OB doctor very early and I was closely monitored. All seemed fine. We got to see our little bean’s heart beating fast at just 5 and a half weeks on Dec. 22. (That was a joy we had not experienced with our other pregnancies which both ended before a heartbeat was detected.) Though I struggled with nausea and fatigue, I rejoiced at these symptoms of what I hoped was a healthy pregnancy. On January 12, I had another ultrasound. I was about 8 and a half weeks along. The technic

One year ago..

  As I type these words, it is March 17th. St Patrick's Day. Tomorrow, March 18th, is a milestone that I have been dreading. One year ago tomorrow, my beloved husband breathed his last here on earth and woke up in Heaven.  I have decided to blog about my journey of grief that began that morning. I pray it is both a step of healing for my own heart and also that it brings glory to my God who has brought me through and continues to walk with me.  When I woke up and discovered Matt still and lifeless beside me, James woke up at almost the same time and I heard him coming to our room. Frantically, I tried to shield him from what was happening, but he did see his Daddy. Words came out of me as I tried to comfort my four-year-old son. I remember telling him, I think Daddy has gone to Heaven. James started crying and I told him, I think God decided it was time for him to come home to Heaven. The words seemed to comfort James in some small way.  One of Matt's friends and coworkers show