Skip to main content

New Year, New goals

 The final day of 2020 is here and like most people, I am hoping that the new year will hold more positive moments and fewer negative ones. Time will tell if that wish comes true. In the meantime, I’m trying to reflect on the past year and make new goals for the new year. I try to do this annually. I know some people don’t like making resolutions but personally, I enjoy it. A new year is like a blank page waiting to be filled. And while on one hand I know my list of resolutions will not make anything happen, still it gives me something to aim for. 

As a Christian, I recognize that becoming a better person by achieving goals is not possible nor is it Biblical. I will never make myself a more godly person by pulling myself up by my bootstraps. However, also as a Christian, using a new year as an opportunity to refocus my heart on things that truly matter is a worthwhile pursuit. 

So, with those thoughts in mind, here are my 2021 goals or resolutions. With the knowledge that I will mess up, still here they are.

1. Read a portion of the Bible every single day. I plan to use a through the Bible in two years plan. Also my husband and I have started studying I Timothy together and are really enjoying that.

2. Pray more! Specifically, keep a prayer journal.

3. Get back to a healthy, low sugar eating plan. Cheat meals no more than once or twice a week.

4. Exercise at least 20 minutes per day five days a week.

5. Write and publish a book. I’m learning more about the world of self publishing and will likely go that route. 

6. Make intentional investments of time, prayer, etc with my family. I’m especially hoping to be a more involved Aunt. I love my nieces and nephews dearly but realized recently that I don’t make much effort to be involved in their lives. It’s hard living far away from them but I can do more. 

7. Read at least three parenting books this year and three marriage books. 

Ok, there’s my list. I could add much more but I’m going to stop there. What about you? Do you make New Year’s resolutions? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God is doing a new thing..

 On March 18, 2022, I thought I might never be happy again. I sobbed my goodbyes to the man I loved and who I thought I'd grow old with. He was in many ways my world, along with our then four year old son. My world shattered that day.  But God had other plans. Do I understand why God allowed Matt to go home to Glory at age 38? Do I understand why all of our hopes and plans for the future were swept away on a tide of seemingly unending grief? No. I don't.  But I have seen God take the shards of my broken heart and fit them back together into something created for His honor.  Several months after my husband's untimely death, I struck up a friendship with one of Matt's closest friends, Ryan. We started texting each other about all kinds of random things: funny stories from our day, encouragement from Scripture, favorite memories or movies or events...we never seemed to run out of things to say to each other. I was finding myself very interested. But the timing was not righ

Pregnancy Loss and a gracious God

  He makes the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children. Psalm 113:9 A week ago, this verse would have made me angry. But as I slowly begin to heal after a miscarriage, I am finding comfort in that precious verse. This was my third pregnancy loss. Twice within our first year of marriage, my husband and I experienced this sorrow. It was heartbreaking. But we recovered as best we could. Finally, after almost a year of trying, I conceived again. We were so thrilled. We got in to see the OB doctor very early and I was closely monitored. All seemed fine. We got to see our little bean’s heart beating fast at just 5 and a half weeks on Dec. 22. (That was a joy we had not experienced with our other pregnancies which both ended before a heartbeat was detected.) Though I struggled with nausea and fatigue, I rejoiced at these symptoms of what I hoped was a healthy pregnancy. On January 12, I had another ultrasound. I was about 8 and a half weeks along. The technic

Slippers

   It is a frosty October morning. A new moon hangs in the pale sky.  And I slide my feet into your old slippers.  The thought occurs that I don't need to apologize for borrowing them anymore.  You used to ask me not to take them. They were broken in just right for you.  I had my own slippers. But after you died, I threw my own away. I didn't need them. I had yours. My feet needed to fit in the imprints you left. So I take a deep breath and open the door, And though my breath rises like a ghost into the cold air My feet and heart are warm as I whisper, "thank you."