Skip to main content

The year we all love to hate

“I’m so over this year.”
“2020 is the worst year ever.”
“Let’s just skip to next year please.”

We’ve all heard those words. Actually, we’ve all said them or at least thought them most likely. This has been a doozy of a year. I don’t need to remind anyone of the growing list of bad things that have happened. A certain virus and it’s repercussions tops the list for most of us. I’m going to assume that every person who happens to read this blog post has been affected directly or indirectly by Covid19.
And we’ve all seen a great deal of unrest, injustice and violence this year. For many of us, we are literally so done with 2020.
And yet...
What if you and I need a new perspective?
Fellow believers, is our hope in having a good year? 
Is our hope in the health of our loved ones?
 Is it in being comfortable and secure?

I am going to venture to say that the honest answer to these questions is, yes. Based on our collective response to 2020, our hope is largely misplaced. 
Now, I’m not saying that we have to pretend that everything is wonderful! Obviously, we have all experienced a great amount of sorrow and pain this year. It’s unhealthy to stuff our feelings and fake it till we make it. But what I’m saying is simply this: based on our social media posts and our conversations, if 2020 was the Philippian jail and we Christians were Paul and Silas, our chains would still be firmly in place because we are wasting our breath complaining instead of praising.

Is praise a magic wand that will help us turn our outlook around? No. But our response of rejoicing in the midst of trials is one of the most powerful lights we can shine to a lost and dying world. 
I’ve been reading 2 Thessalonians lately and I was struck by these words from Paul to the believers there:

We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is fitting, because your faith grows exceedingly, and the love of every one of you all abounds toward each other, so that we ourselves boast of you among the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that you endure (2 Thess. 1:3-4)

In the middle of persecution and tribulation, what happened to their faith? It grew. Exceedingly! And their love for each other? Surely it suffered a hit during that tough time. Nope. It abounded toward each other. But surely their patience wore thin. After all, we are all only human. Wrong again. Their patience was so exemplary that Paul and company boasted about it to other churches! 
I don’t know specifically what kind of trials those early Thessalonians Christians experienced. But I think it’s safe to say they went through some years that surpassed 2020 in all its badness.

I have been as guilty as anyone of complaint this year. Of wringing my hands and losing heart. Of growing incredibly impatient. But when I read about those early believers who grew in their faith, love and patience in the midst of trials, I am inspired! 

What if we ask God to help us as Christians to be known in 2020 for our patience, love and faith rather than our fear or anger or selfishness? What if we resolve to trust God and ask Him to get the glory from our responses? 
May our goal be to point others to Christ by our Spirit-filled lives. Even in 2020.




Comments

  1. Thank you Ruthie! This post rang true with me. I've had similar thoughts as I've thought about this year. Every year has it's share of bitterness and joy. But we are to rejoice in all circumstances.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slippers

   It is a frosty October morning. A new moon hangs in the pale sky.  And I slide my feet into your old slippers.  The thought occurs that I don't need to apologize for borrowing them anymore.  You used to ask me not to take them. They were broken in just right for you.  I had my own slippers. But after you died, I threw my own away. I didn't need them. I had yours. My feet needed to fit in the imprints you left. So I take a deep breath and open the door, And though my breath rises like a ghost into the cold air My feet and heart are warm as I whisper, "thank you."

One year ago..

  As I type these words, it is March 17th. St Patrick's Day. Tomorrow, March 18th, is a milestone that I have been dreading. One year ago tomorrow, my beloved husband breathed his last here on earth and woke up in Heaven.  I have decided to blog about my journey of grief that began that morning. I pray it is both a step of healing for my own heart and also that it brings glory to my God who has brought me through and continues to walk with me.  When I woke up and discovered Matt still and lifeless beside me, James woke up at almost the same time and I heard him coming to our room. Frantically, I tried to shield him from what was happening, but he did see his Daddy. Words came out of me as I tried to comfort my four-year-old son. I remember telling him, I think Daddy has gone to Heaven. James started crying and I told him, I think God decided it was time for him to come home to Heaven. The words seemed to comfort James in some small way.  One of Matt's friends and coworkers show

Pregnancy Loss and a gracious God

  He makes the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children. Psalm 113:9 A week ago, this verse would have made me angry. But as I slowly begin to heal after a miscarriage, I am finding comfort in that precious verse. This was my third pregnancy loss. Twice within our first year of marriage, my husband and I experienced this sorrow. It was heartbreaking. But we recovered as best we could. Finally, after almost a year of trying, I conceived again. We were so thrilled. We got in to see the OB doctor very early and I was closely monitored. All seemed fine. We got to see our little bean’s heart beating fast at just 5 and a half weeks on Dec. 22. (That was a joy we had not experienced with our other pregnancies which both ended before a heartbeat was detected.) Though I struggled with nausea and fatigue, I rejoiced at these symptoms of what I hoped was a healthy pregnancy. On January 12, I had another ultrasound. I was about 8 and a half weeks along. The technic