Skip to main content

Pregnancy after loss


Dear friend who struggles when you see pregnancy posts on social media,
I want to say that I am sorry that my pregnancy posts probably make you want to cry or throw something. I remember when I was reeling from the loss of my first, second, and third pregnancies. The last thing I wanted to see was pregnancy related posts on Facebook. I fought against the current of anger and envy that threatened to pull me under. Some days, I didn’t win the fight. As time went on though, I found myself able to feel genuine happiness for a couple’s blessing of a baby. But it was really really really hard. Some days, it is still hard. Here I am, nearing my third trimester of what has been a healthy pregnancy, and sometimes it is still a struggle to rejoice when I read of a younger couple having a baby within their first or second year of marriage, with no complications or prior miscarriages. Yes, I know that every life is a blessing. Yes, I know that as followers of Christ we are to rejoice with those who rejoice. I just never expected it to be so very hard sometimes. Maybe you feel the same way. I am so sorry. Believe me, you are not alone or abnormal for struggling in this way.
When I think of you, my beautiful friend, I see many things. I see a woman who has shed her share of tears. I see a mother whose arms are empty, but whose heart is forever etched with memories of a baby gone far too soon. I see another mother whose arms are full of children, but whose heart grieves in secret for the baby that nobody else knows about, the one she lost after several healthy children. I see a wife who has long given up hope of conceiving a child. I see a daughter who mourns the idea that she will never give her parents a grandchild. I see a single friend who just wants to be a wife and a mommy, but is slowly giving up hope of seeing her dreams fulfilled. But most of all, I see a person who has much to give. You, my friend, have a story that nobody else can tell quite like you can. Your sorrow has a purpose. You may not be able to see it quite yet. But in the midst of your storm of grief, know that you are beloved by our Heavenly Father. He loves you with an Everlasting Love. He loves your children, both the ones in Heaven, and the ones here on Earth. He is shaping your future with love.
As I anticipate the birth of my child, I often think of you, my friend. My heart aches for you. I hesitate to post pregnancy milestones because I know it will make you sad. But, I still post things because it is part of my story, even as I pray your heart will not feel destroyed by my joy.
If anyone tries to make you feel guilty for struggling to rejoice, please do not let them. Your pain is real. You have nothing to be ashamed of. We live in a society that tries to tell us to suck it up, to always dress up and show up. Well I’m here to tell you, you don’t have to always suck it up. You don’t even have to always show up. All you really have to do is look up. God may seem a million miles away right now, but He is there. Read the Psalms. Pour out your heart before Him. He is a Refuge. He is Real. He is.
With love,
Your pregnant friend

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slippers

   It is a frosty October morning. A new moon hangs in the pale sky.  And I slide my feet into your old slippers.  The thought occurs that I don't need to apologize for borrowing them anymore.  You used to ask me not to take them. They were broken in just right for you.  I had my own slippers. But after you died, I threw my own away. I didn't need them. I had yours. My feet needed to fit in the imprints you left. So I take a deep breath and open the door, And though my breath rises like a ghost into the cold air My feet and heart are warm as I whisper, "thank you."

Pregnancy Loss and a gracious God

  He makes the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children. Psalm 113:9 A week ago, this verse would have made me angry. But as I slowly begin to heal after a miscarriage, I am finding comfort in that precious verse. This was my third pregnancy loss. Twice within our first year of marriage, my husband and I experienced this sorrow. It was heartbreaking. But we recovered as best we could. Finally, after almost a year of trying, I conceived again. We were so thrilled. We got in to see the OB doctor very early and I was closely monitored. All seemed fine. We got to see our little bean’s heart beating fast at just 5 and a half weeks on Dec. 22. (That was a joy we had not experienced with our other pregnancies which both ended before a heartbeat was detected.) Though I struggled with nausea and fatigue, I rejoiced at these symptoms of what I hoped was a healthy pregnancy. On January 12, I had another ultrasound. I was about 8 and a half weeks along. The technic

One year ago..

  As I type these words, it is March 17th. St Patrick's Day. Tomorrow, March 18th, is a milestone that I have been dreading. One year ago tomorrow, my beloved husband breathed his last here on earth and woke up in Heaven.  I have decided to blog about my journey of grief that began that morning. I pray it is both a step of healing for my own heart and also that it brings glory to my God who has brought me through and continues to walk with me.  When I woke up and discovered Matt still and lifeless beside me, James woke up at almost the same time and I heard him coming to our room. Frantically, I tried to shield him from what was happening, but he did see his Daddy. Words came out of me as I tried to comfort my four-year-old son. I remember telling him, I think Daddy has gone to Heaven. James started crying and I told him, I think God decided it was time for him to come home to Heaven. The words seemed to comfort James in some small way.  One of Matt's friends and coworkers show