Skip to main content

What is it like being a Pastor’s Wife?


What is it like being a Pastor’s Wife?
This is not an easy question to answer. There are so many layers to this role. Sometimes it feels like the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Other times, it seems like the best, most rewarding job. But I want to peel away all the layers and look at the heart of what it means to be a pastor’s wife.
I’ve only been a wife for a little over a year. And, consequently, because I married a man who is a pastor, I’ve also been a pastor’s wife for a little over a year. In other words, the man I fell in love with was already a pastor. He was not my pastor at the time. In fact, I was a member of a much larger church in another city. The story of how we met and fell in love is sweet and romantic, but for now, I’ll just say I was swept off my feet quickly by this man. I didn’t love him because he was a pastor. I loved him because I looked into his wonderful blue eyes and saw a sweet soul that I could love forever. Our relationship was not based on the fact that he was a pastor.  I agreed to marry him, knowing we would minister together in a church setting. But that was not my main motivation. In fact, there were times during our whirlwind year of romance that I had to remind myself, he is a pastor. I had to remind myself, he has a congregation to care for. It was challenging dating and being engaged to a pastor. But I loved him, he loved me, and we danced toward marriage with joy.
Then, reality hit.
The honeymoon ended, we came home from the sunny Bahamas to frozen Ohio and settled into our roles at the church. Suddenly, I was a pastor’s wife. I was no longer the preacher’s girlfriend or the preacher’s fiancée. I was the pastor’s Wife. Over time, something began to change in my heart. It was subtle and slow. I went from joyfully loving my man who happened to be a pastor, to dreading the expectations I felt within myself and outside myself, because I was a Pastor’s Wife. I still of course adored my husband, but I found myself dreading Sundays and Wednesdays, hating the feeling of inadequacy that filled me each time I walked in the church building. Who was I? I was bewildered more than I cared to admit. Wasn’t I supposed to love serving God? Where was the joy in serving as a Pastor’s Wife? I would sigh with relief after church as we drove home, so glad to have another Sunday over with and yet knowing I was not doing enough, not reaching out enough, not ministering enough. I was not enough.
           Then, just today, a thought struck me as I was musing over these feelings. Of course I feel like I’m not enough. Only God is enough to fill all the hurts in all the people’s hearts, to mend broken relationships in the church, to teach His Word so clearly that people worship Him in awe. I don’t have to be enough for all those things! In fact, I’m not supposed to.
And this thought really was like a breath of fresh air in my trouble soul: I did not sign a contract to become a Pastor’s Wife. I married a man and promised to be his helpmate. That is all.
Do I need to be involved in my church? Of course! I need to do something. But I don’t need to do everything.  I can’t. And I should not beat myself up because I am not the perfect Pastor’s Wife. She doesn’t exist.
But back to my role: What is a Pastor’s Wife supposed to do? She is supposed to love and respect her husband. Period. That is all. No more, no less. What does that look like? Well, it looks a lot like it looks for the wife of an engineer or a plumber or a salesman or a donut deliveryman. Be his number one fan, his best friend, his encourager, his lover, his sounding board. Just like “I love you” will sound different in a dozen different languages, being that helper will look different in a dozen different life settings. As the wife of a pastor, I can tell you it looks an awful lot like listening with open heart and open arms when he just needs someone to let him express his concerns and fears, pray urgently for him as he visits a sick or dying church member, speak respectfully about him to others, give him time and space to prepare sermons or do other church business, work at keeping communication open and honest about everything, and put his needs first above anyone else’s.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slippers

   It is a frosty October morning. A new moon hangs in the pale sky.  And I slide my feet into your old slippers.  The thought occurs that I don't need to apologize for borrowing them anymore.  You used to ask me not to take them. They were broken in just right for you.  I had my own slippers. But after you died, I threw my own away. I didn't need them. I had yours. My feet needed to fit in the imprints you left. So I take a deep breath and open the door, And though my breath rises like a ghost into the cold air My feet and heart are warm as I whisper, "thank you."

Pregnancy Loss and a gracious God

  He makes the barren woman to keep house and to be a joyful mother of children. Psalm 113:9 A week ago, this verse would have made me angry. But as I slowly begin to heal after a miscarriage, I am finding comfort in that precious verse. This was my third pregnancy loss. Twice within our first year of marriage, my husband and I experienced this sorrow. It was heartbreaking. But we recovered as best we could. Finally, after almost a year of trying, I conceived again. We were so thrilled. We got in to see the OB doctor very early and I was closely monitored. All seemed fine. We got to see our little bean’s heart beating fast at just 5 and a half weeks on Dec. 22. (That was a joy we had not experienced with our other pregnancies which both ended before a heartbeat was detected.) Though I struggled with nausea and fatigue, I rejoiced at these symptoms of what I hoped was a healthy pregnancy. On January 12, I had another ultrasound. I was about 8 and a half weeks along. The technic

One year ago..

  As I type these words, it is March 17th. St Patrick's Day. Tomorrow, March 18th, is a milestone that I have been dreading. One year ago tomorrow, my beloved husband breathed his last here on earth and woke up in Heaven.  I have decided to blog about my journey of grief that began that morning. I pray it is both a step of healing for my own heart and also that it brings glory to my God who has brought me through and continues to walk with me.  When I woke up and discovered Matt still and lifeless beside me, James woke up at almost the same time and I heard him coming to our room. Frantically, I tried to shield him from what was happening, but he did see his Daddy. Words came out of me as I tried to comfort my four-year-old son. I remember telling him, I think Daddy has gone to Heaven. James started crying and I told him, I think God decided it was time for him to come home to Heaven. The words seemed to comfort James in some small way.  One of Matt's friends and coworkers show